A series of talks based on An Open-Hearted Life given at Sravasti Abbey’s monthly Sharing the Dharma Day starting in April 2017. Co-written with clinical psychologist Dr. Russell Kolts, the book offers practical Buddhist and Western psychological approaches to developing compassion.
- Increasing mindfulness can aid in developing compassion
- How mindfulness allows us to work with our emotions and actions
- Mindfulness and parenting
- Examining how we impute meaning on events or others
- Using R.A.I.N. to develop mindfulness
- Guided reflection: Mindful checking in
An Open-Hearted Life 12: Mindful awareness (download)
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.