A series of talks based on An Open-Hearted Life given at Sravasti Abbey’s monthly Sharing the Dharma Day starting in April 2017. Co-written with clinical psychologist Dr. Russell Kolts, the book offers practical Buddhist and Western psychological approaches to developing compassion.
- Misconceptions about compassion
- Compassion requires courage
- Being compassionate without getting overwhelmed by suffering
- Reflection: getting to know ourselves
- Confusion about compassion—knowing what is and isn’t compassion
- Compassion is an attitude, the behavior follows from that
An 0pen-Hearted Life 09: Courageous compassion (download)
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.