Part of an ongoing series of teachings based on Approaching the Buddhist Path, the first book in “The Library of Wisdom and Compassion” series by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Venerable Thubten Chodron.
- Three components of emotions from the psychological approach
- The Buddhist perspective on feelings and mental factors
- The four alternatives between feelings and ethical values
- Western culture’s emphasis on emotions versus the Tibetan attitude
- Understanding the importance of our intentions
08 Approaching the Buddhist Path: Mind and Emotions (download)
- Describe how karma is created using the process of the 12 links. Choose a personal example with a certain result.
- What is the difference between science and Buddhism with regard to emotions?
- Why is it so important to think about the long-term effects of negative and positive emotions?
- Think about an emotion you had recently and clarify for yourself if this feeling is virtuous or non-virtuous. How can you change your mind to create virtuous states?