Part of an ongoing series of teachings (retreat and Friday) based on the book The Foundation of Buddhist Practice, second volume in “The Library of Wisdom and Compassion” series by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Venerable Thubten Chodron.
- Factors that make karma heavy such as frequency, strength of motivation
- Regretting harmful actions, rejoicing beneficial actions
- Keeping precepts, general mental constitution, naturally negative actions
- Applying Four opponent powers
- Having faith in karma and its effects and generating wisdom
- Actions motivated by attachment, animosity, confusion
- Actions motivated by non-attachment, non-anger, non-confusion
- Difference between doing something virtuous and being selfish
- Considering the long term effects of scientific and technological developments
The Foundation of Buddhist Practice 58: Discerning Virtuous From Nonvirtuous Actions (download)
- What is the purpose of applying mindfulness and introspective awareness?
- What is the best way to work towards a good future rebirth?