Part of an ongoing series of teachings based on Approaching the Buddhist Path, the first book in “The Library of Wisdom and Compassion” series by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Venerable Thubten Chodron.
- Correctly understanding the intended meaning of stories found in Buddhist texts
- Focusing on beneficial Dharma lessons and not ancient cultural or social values
- Differentiating between Buddhist teachings and external religious forms
- The importance of various ways to spread the Dharma most effectively to benefit others
- Investigating Buddhist principles within the context of current science and social norms
38 Approaching the Buddhist Path: Correctly Understanding the Point (download)
- What is the meaning, the purpose, of giving your wife to the Buddha as practiced in the old stories?
- Which story have you heard in a Dharma teaching that inspired you and why did it inspire you?
- What is Dharma and what is culture? Define those and include specific examples.