Childish sentient beings
98 Engaging in the Bodhisattva’s Deeds
Part of an ongoing series of teachings based on Shantideva’s classic text, Bodhisattvacharyavatara, often translated as Engaging in the Bodhisattva’s Deeds. Venerable Thubten Chodron also refers to the outline of the commentary by Gyaltsab Dharma Rinchen and the commentary by the Abbot Dragpa Gyaltsen.
- Verse 8: Attachment to friends and relatives leads one away from the Dharma
- Verse 9: The negative result of hanging out with childish sentient beings
- Verses 10: The unreliability of childish friends
- Stories of friends who became enemies
- Verse 11: The drawbacks of attachment to childish friends
- Verses 12-13: Associating with the childish brings no benefit and leads to nonvirtue
- Questions and answers
98 Engaging in the Bodhisattva’s Deeds: Childish sentient beings (download)
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.