Part of an ongoing series of teachings based on Approaching the Buddhist Path, the first book in “The Library of Wisdom and Compassion” series by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Venerable Thubten Chodron.
- Various views on the origins of Mahayana sutras
- The historical evolution and use of the term, Mahayana
- Understanding the basis of monastic ordination
- Similarities and differences of the Pali and Sanskrit traditions
- The role of language in Buddhist scriptures and other texts
24 Approaching the Buddhist Path: The Growth of the Mahayana (download)
- Give some reasons why the Mahayana scriptures are from the Buddha directly and add some of the academic points that question that these scriptures are from the Buddha.
- What is H.H. The Dalai Lama’s reasoning for why the Mahayana scriptures can be attributed to the Buddha?
- Tibetan and Western practitioners have different approaches to the sutras as well. What are they?