A series of talks based on Don’t Believe Everything You Think given at Sravasti Abbey’s monthly Sharing the Dharma Day starting in March 2013. The book is a commentary on The 37 Practices of Bodhisattvas.
In brief, whatever you are doing,
Ask yourself “What’s the state of my mind?”
With constant mindfulness and mental alertness
Accomplish others’ good—
This is the practice of Bodhisattvas.
- The difference between secular mindfulness and the Buddhist practice of mindfulness
- Mindfulness is remembering and acting according to our values and ethical standards
- The advantages of being mindful of our thoughts and feelings
- If we are aware of our state of mind we can apply antidotes to afflictive states
- We can benefit those around us in small ways that take little effort
SDD 36: Mindfulness (download)