Distracted by the causes for pain
83 Engaging in the Bodhisattva’s Deeds
Part of an ongoing series of teachings based on Shantideva’s classic text, Bodhisattvacharyavatara, often translated as Engaging in the Bodhisattva’s Deeds. Venerable Thubten Chodron also refers to the outline of the commentary by Gyaltsab Dharma Rinchen and the commentary by the Abbot Dragpa Gyaltsen.
- How our relationships with others gives meaning and purpose to our lives
- Looking at what we do in our daily lives to contribute
- Recognizing those who don’t get credit for their contribution
- Verse 15: Distracted from the Dharma by the causes for pain
- Looking at the counterproductive ways we seek happiness
- The eight intrusive conditions that hinder taking advantage of our precious human life
- Turmoil from the five emotions
- Lack of intelligence
- Being donminated by evil influences and relying on corrupt teachers
- Being inundated by the effect of past negative activity
- Being enslaved, without autonomy
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.