Averting the causes of war
80 Engaging in the Bodhisattva’s Deeds
Part of an ongoing series of teachings based on Shantideva’s classic text, Bodhisattvacharyavatara, often translated as Engaging in the Bodhisattva’s Deeds. Venerable Thubten Chodron also refers to the outline of the commentary by Gyaltsab Dharma Rinchen and the commentary by the Abbot Dragpa Gyaltsen.
- Looking at the invasion of Ukraine as a Dharma teaching
- Verse 3: Counteracting laziness and the attraction to samsara
- Verse 4: Using awareness of death to counteract laziness
- There is a state of happiness and joy beyond samsaric happiness
- Looking at all three types of dukkha, not just overt pain
- Questions and answers
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.