Part of a series of teachings on Aryadeva’s 400 Stanzas on the Middle Way given on an annual basis by Geshe Yeshe Thabkhe from 2013-2017.
Motivation from the Buddha
Sages do not wash away sins with water,
They do not clear away beings’ suffering with their hands,
They do not transfer their own knowledge to others;
They liberate by teaching the truth of reality
Overview of Aryadeva’s 400 Stanzas on the Middle Way
- Chapters 1-4 teach how to attain fortunate rebirth and achieve liberation from cyclic existence
- Chapters 5-8 teach how to overcome cognitive obscurations and enter into the practices of a bodhisattva
- It is vital to put into practice the lessons on what to adopt and what to abandon to become a buddha
- Chapters 1-8 explain the stages of the path depending on conventional truth and Chapters 9 and on, depending on ultimate truth
- Nine categories of treatises
- What is the object that is being refuted in Chapter 9?
- How we think persons and phenomena exist and how they actually exist
- Refuting permanent functional phenomena in general
- Direct valid cognition as viewed by different tenet systems