Part of a series of teachings on Aryadeva’s 400 Stanzas on the Middle Way given on an annual basis by Geshe Yeshe Thabkhe from 2013-2017.
Motivation from Chandrakirti’s Supplement to Nagarjuna’s Treatise on the Middle Way
If when independent and enjoying favorable circumstances,
One does not protect oneself from falling into the lower realms,
Once one has fallen into the abyss and has no power to escape,
What will be able to lift one up and out of that?
- How to take full advantage of the precious human life to avoid rebirth in lower realms: purify negative karma, abstain from non-virtue, and create virtue
- Practice of wisdom realizing emptiness of inherent existence and cultivation of bodhicitta help us attain liberation and full awakening
- The root of all afflictions
- Emptiness as the meaning of dependent arising
- Explanation of depending arising as an antidote to ignorance
- How to recognize and care for somebody habituated to attachment
- Why anger is an inappropriate response in any situation
- Inappropriateness of anger as a response to harsh words