Part of a series of teachings on Aryadeva’s 400 Stanzas on the Middle Way given on an annual basis by Geshe Yeshe Thabkhe from 2013-2017.
Motivation from Lama Tsongkhapa’s Concise Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment on taking the essence of our precious human life
This life of leisure is even more precious than a wish-granting jewel;
That I have found such an existence is only this once;
So hard to find yet like a flash of lightning it is easy to vanish;
Contemplating this situation it’s vital to realize that all mundane pursuits
Are like the empty grain husks floating in the winds
And that we must extract the essence of human existence.
I, a yogi, have practiced in this manner;
You, who aspire for liberation, too should do likewise.
Summarizing the purpose of Chapter 2
- Five aggregates are considered suffering and cyclic existence
- How reflecting on the faults of cyclic existence helps generate bodhicitta
- Showing that real pleasure does not exist
- Conceptions of permanence, cleanness, pleasure etc. are erroneous because all things that arise dependently on causes and conditions are empty of inherent existence
Questions and answers
- If we meditate deeply on the foulness of the body, how do we avoid being reborn as a form-realm deity?
- How to cultivate the view of our body as impure while still seeing it as the basis for full awakening?