The disadvantages of samsara
107 Engaging in the Bodhisattva’s Deeds
Part of an ongoing series of teachings based on Shantideva’s classic text, Bodhisattvacharyavatara, often translated as Engaging in the Bodhisattva’s Deeds. Venerable Thubten Chodron also refers to the outline of the commentary by Gyaltsab Dharma Rinchen and the commentary by the Abbot Dragpa Gyaltsen.
- What people do out of attachment
- Verse 78 review
- Verse 79: Attachment is fraught with infinite problems
- Verse 80: The desirous experience little profit and many disadvantages
- Verse 81: Wasting a precious human life on what is trivial
- Taking the Dharma seriously requires a shift in worldview
- Verse 82: The sufferings of samsara are greater than the suffering of working toward buddhahood
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.