Giving ourselves to others
135 Engaging in the Bodhisattva’s Deeds
Part of an ongoing series of teachings based on Shantideva’s classic text, Bodhisattvacharyavatara, often translated as Engaging in the Bodhisattva’s Deeds. Venerable Thubten Chodron also refers to the outline of the commentary by Gyaltsab Dharma Rinchen and the commentary by the Abbot Dragpa Gyaltsen.
- Getting clear on our long-term goals
- Verse 130: The childish work for themselves, Buddhas work for others
- Verses 131-133: Exchanging self and others leads to long-term and short-term happiness
- Verses 134 and 135: Giving up self-grasping and self-cherishing
- Verses 136 and 137: Cherishing others as I do myself
135 Giving ourselves to others (download)
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.