Karma and current ethical issues
59 The Foundation of Buddhist Practice
Part of an ongoing series of teachings (retreat and Friday) based on the book The Foundation of Buddhist Practice, second volume in “The Library of Wisdom and Compassion” series by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Venerable Thubten Chodron.
- Karmic seeds are purified
- Afflictions are weakened and abandoned
- Objects abandoned by reasoning and by the path
- Considering the long terms effects of research
- Being biologically alive and having consciousness
- Questions to consider about in vitro fertilization, stem cell research and cloning
- Taking decisions regarding birth control and abortion
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.