- Examining our thinking patterns and types of cognizers
- Inferential reliable cognizers and meditation
The Foundation of Buddhist Practice 10: Reliable cognizers and meditation (download)
10 The Foundation of Buddhist Practice: Reliable Cognizers and Meditation 11-07-18
- How do we use an understanding of the different kinds of cognizers, and the ability to generate and investigate syllogisms, to facilitate both serenity and insight meditation?
- Do you find that resistance arises when you meditate on the Four Mindfulnesses? Examine the resistance. What process is going on in your mind that makes you resistant to hear certain things? What is the process in the mind when someone is warning you about a behavior you are doing and you don’t want to hear it? What lies behind your resistance? What are you concerned about? Use this as a way to explore how your mind works so that you can begin to transform it.
- Choose a few Lam Rim topics. What aspects are evident phenomena, which are slightly obscure phenomena, and which require authoritative testimony? Some examples might be:
- What kind of reliable cognizers know the dukkha of cyclic existence?
- When you reflect on the kindness of others, what kind of reliable cognizers are at play?