A series of talks based on Don’t Believe Everything You Think given at Sravasti Abbey’s monthly Sharing the Dharma Day starting in March 2013. The book is a commentary on The 37 Practices of Bodhisattvas.
Without ethics you can’t accomplish your own well being,
So wanting to accomplish others’ is laughable.
Therefore, without worldly aspirations
Safeguard your ethical discipline—
This is the practice of Bodhisattvas.
- We can’t help others if we can’t stop harming ourselves
- Ethical conduct impacts the lives of others but also our own mental state and experience
- Ethical conduct is about observing the mind and being aware of our motivation
- When our motivation is rotten we can hit the pause button, restrain our behavior and change our motivation
- Cultivating ethical conduct using mindfulness and introspective alertness
- How to communicate constructively with children and avoid harmful speech
- Using meditation to practice antidotes to the afflictions and develop constructive habits
SDD 26: Stopping the harm (download)