Non-attachment and non-hatred
Group of 11 virtuous mental factors
Part of a series of teachings given through the Dharma Friendship Foundation in Seattle from January 1995 to April 1996.
- Guided meditation for developing non-attachment as it applies to reputation, praise and approval
- Discussion on problems that arise from the attachments and the importance of doing the meditations
- Introducing non-hatred, the basis for prevention of anger, increase of love and patience
- Three objects of anger—person, pain or harm itself, cause of the harm
- Four situations not to retaliate in—harsh words, physical, insults, humiliation
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.