Part of an ongoing series of teachings (retreat and Friday) based on the book The Foundation of Buddhist Practice, second volume in “The Library of Wisdom and Compassion” series by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Venerable Thubten Chodron.
- Secular ethics
- Proper aspects of generosity
- Contradictory emotions due to bias, cultivating equanimity
- Examples of karma that are difficult to understand
- Higher rebirth and highest good
- Causes for higher rebirth, liberation and awakening
- Faith or confidence in karma and its results
- Wisdom realizing emptiness
- Ethical conduct and practicing six perfections
The Foundation of Buddhist Practice 82: The Complexity of Karma (download)
- Bring to mind small actions you do repeatedly, but know that they are karmically not virtuous. What would it take for you to change that behavior?
- What do we need to learn and practice to attain highest rebirth and highest good?
- Why is ethical conduct necessary, but not sufficient, for upper rebirth and highest good?
- What practices are essential for attaining a precious human life, what are their results, and why are those particular results helpful for practicing the path in future lives?