The text turns to training the mind on the stages of the path of advanced level practitioners. Part of a series of teachings on the Gomchen Lamrim by Gomchen Ngawang Drakpa.
- What is joyous effort?
- The advantages of practicing it and disadvantages of not
- Two aspects of joyous perseverance
- Removing the obstacles to joyous effort
- The four supports of aspiration, firmness, joy and rest
Gomchen Lamrim 118: Joyous Effort Review (download)
- What are some of the advantages of practicing joyous perseverance/effort?
- What worldly activities have you done that were infused with joyous effort-what difficulties did you overcome with a joyful determined mind?
- What dharma activities have you done that were infused with joyous effort-what difficulties did you overcome with a joyful determined mind?
- How do we kick this joyous perseverance into gear?
- What are the obstacles to joyous perseverance in your own life? Be specific.
- Which of the three types of laziness get in the way of cultivating joyous perseverance for you: procrastination, being distracted by temporary happiness, or self-contempt? What antidotes do you apply?
- Which of the three steps in the meditation on death (death is definite, the time of death is indefinite, and at the time of death nothing helps but Dharma practice) inspire you to push through procrastination. Explain why that particular one gets you motivated?
- How do you work with discouragement about attaining the goal of full awakening?
- Consider examples of joyous perseverance that you have seen in others that inspire you. What does this do for your mind?