Part of a series of teachings on the Gomchen Lamrim by Gomchen Ngawang Drakpa.
- Reading books and listening to teachings is good, but real Dharma practice is transforming the mind
- How the topic of relying on a spiritual mentor can be misunderstood
- Relying on the spiritual teacher is not about blind faith or worship of the teacher
- The 10 qualities to look for in a spiritual mentor from the Ornament for Mahayana Sutras by Maitreya
- The three characteristics of students who rely on a qualified spiritual mentor
- Cultivating the attitudes needed to benefit from the spiritual mentor
- Focus on the teacher’s good qualities rather than look for faults
Gomchen Lamrim 03: The qualities of a spiritual mentor and disciples (download)
03 The Gomchen Lamrim 08-21-15
- Spend some time really thinking about the qualities of a good spiritual mentor as Venerable Chodron described. She also said that the Buddha helps us through our spiritual mentor. So how do these specific qualities in a spiritual mentor help US progress along the path?
- Also spend some time thinking about the qualities of a qualified disciple. Why are they important? To what extent do you have these qualities? What specific things can you do to help strengthen and cultivate them?
- Why are we instructed to not look for the faults in our spiritual mentor once we have checked them out and chosen them as our teacher?