Having generated the motivation for a good rebirth, the text turns to creating the causes for that goal. Part of a series of teachings on the Gomchen Lamrim by Gomchen Ngawang Drakpa.
- The types of karmic results
- The ripening results of negative karma
- The results similar to the cause in terms of experience
- The results similar to the cause in terms of habitual behavior
- The environmental results
- How to work with the mind when we experience these kinds of results
Gomchen Lamrim 31: The effects of negative karma (download)
- What are the three results of karma (divided into 4 where the second has two aspects)?
- Go through the ten non-virtues and consider each of the four results that come from them. Can you see how the results correspond with the cause created? It can be very powerful for the mind to list this out in a spreadsheet. Try this. How does it affect your mind to see this in writing?
- We’ve all experienced these results to some degree, haven’t we? Consider how you can transform your unpleasant experiences, and instead of getting angry and blaming others, see your experience as the result of past negativities, purify anything that might still be on your mindstream, and use the experience to motivate you to not recreate the causes for future suffering.