Having generated the motivation for a good rebirth, the text turns to creating the causes for that goal. Part of a series of teachings on the Gomchen Lamrim by Gomchen Ngawang Drakpa. Visit Gomchen Lamrim Study Guide for a full list of contemplation points for the series.
- Intention karma and intended karma
- Perceptible karma and imperceptible karma
- The factors that make a karmic path weighty
- Intensity of the motivation
- Manner of performance
- Absence of an antidote
- Clinging to a wrong view
- The basis
Gomchen Lamrim 29: Factors that influence the weight of karma (download)
- What is the difference between a karmic pathway and karma? What is intention karma, what is intended karma, and which comes first? Make some examples from your life.
- What is the order of the physical non-virtuous pathways from most serious to least serious? The verbal non-virtuous pathways? The mental ones?
- What are factors that make an action heavier or lighter? Go through each of the non-virtuous pathways and make real-life examples of the different factors that make an action heavier or lighter. Why is it so important to be aware of this?
- Go through each of the virtuous pathways and make real-life examples of the different factors as well.
- Does meditating on these factors make you more aware of your intentions and actions throughout the day? How can you use awareness of these factors to strengthen the virtuous karma you create in your daily life?