Refuting the inherent existence of production, duration and disintegration, the characteristics of products. Part of a series of talks on Aryadeva’s Four Hundred Stanzas on the Middle Way.
- Recognizing the object of negation, the self, when strong emotions arise and using reasoning to investigate how it exists. What is it exactly?
- Refuting the true existence of objects by investigating when they arise. Examining if they could arise in the present, future, or past
- If there were inherent arising, a thing should come from somewhere when it arises and go somewhere when it ceases
- A summary of the meaning of refuting truly existent arising
- It’s important to bring emptiness and dependent arising together to have the complete and correct view. It’s not just negating inherent existence but also being able to assert conventional existence
95 Aryadeva’s 400 Stanzas: Verses 359-360 (download)