Refuting wrong views on the inherent existence of functional phenomena. Part of a series of talks on Aryadeva’s Four Hundred Stanzas on the Middle Way.
- Because persons and phenomena are dependent arisings they are not independent and lack inherent existence
- Meditating on dependent arising to avoid the extreme of nonexistence
- The mutual dependence of cause and effect
- Liberation is gained through understanding emptiness
- Understanding that emptiness means dependent arising and dependent arising means emptiness, that the two come to the same point
- The importance of identifying the self that is the object of negation
92 Aryadeva’s 400 Stanzas: Verses 348-350 (download)