Part of a series of teachings on Essence of Refined Gold by the Third Dalai Lama, Gyalwa Sonam Gyatso. The text is a commentary on Songs of Experience by Lama Tsongkhapa.
Meditation on death
- The benefit of contemplating our death
- The disadvantages of not contemplating our death
- The nine-point death meditation
Essence of Refined Gold 13 (download)
Questions and answers
- Is the nine-point death meditation the same as Phowa practice?
- How can you help others at the time of death if you don’t know their spiritual practice?
Essence of Refined Gold 13: Q&A (download)
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.