Teachings on Buddhism for Beginners
Talks given at Sravasti Abbey’s monthly Sharing the Dharma Day from March to December 2012.
- Different types of Buddhist meditation and their uses
- Purpose and benefits of stabilizing meditation and analytic meditation in Buddhist practice
- What is done in stabilizing meditation
- Using analytic meditation to come to an accurate understanding of an object or to enhance mental qualities
- Mindfulness meditation and how it is taught and used in a Buddhist setting
- Using mindfulness meditation as taught by the Buddha to eliminate four misconceptions
Buddhism for Beginners 03: Meditation (download)
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.