Chapter 7: Emptiness and selflessness
30 Buddhism: One Teacher, Many Traditions
Part of a series of two-week courses given at Sravasti Abbey based on the book Buddhism: One Teacher, Many Traditions by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Venerable Thubten Chodron.
- Does a thing arise from itself?
- Does a thing arise from (inherently existent) other?
- Does a thing arise from self and other?
- Does a thing arise from no cause?
- Selfless and deceptive
- Historical development of ideas
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.