Chapter 5: Higher training in concentration
16 Course 1: Buddhism: One Teacher, Many Traditions
Part of a series of two-week courses given at Sravasti Abbey based on the book Buddhism: One Teacher, Many Traditions by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Venerable Thubten Chodron.
- Advice on and joys of monastic life
- Bodhisattva and tantric ethics and their relationship to prātimokṣa precepts
- Concentration: Proper motivation and the importance of a skilled teacher
- Realms of existence and spheres of consciousness in gaining samadhi
- Pali tradition: 40 objects for cultivating serenity
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.