A series of talks based on Don’t Believe Everything You Think given at Sravasti Abbey’s monthly Sharing the Dharma Day starting in March 2013. The book is a commentary on The 37 Practices of Bodhisattvas.
When you encounter attractive objects,
Though they seem beautiful
Like a rainbow in summer, don’t regard them as real
And give up attachment—
This is the practice of Bodhisattvas.
- We co-create our reality by how we label things, interpret them and the details we attend to
- We usually think that beautiful things are beautiful in their own right but that is a misconception
- Beautiful things are like rainbows, ephemeral, elusive and unfindable
- What actually is chocolate? When we analyze it we can’t find what we are attached to
- Words of praise and criticism are just sound waves that we give meaning to
SDD 23: Chasing rainbows (download)