Refuting remaining misconceptions of inherent existence and emptiness. Part of a series of talks on Aryadeva’s Four Hundred Stanzas on the Middle Way.
- The Madhyamakas assert a thesis, they do not just refute those of others
- Even the smallest particle of true existence is not observed
- Refuting true existence requires reasoning not just statements
- Merely designating something as truly existent doesn’t make it truly existent
- The refutation of inherent existence does not make the self or things non-existent
- True existence is the object to be negated by reasoning. Grasping at true existence is the object to be negated by the path
99 Aryadeva’s 400 Stanzas: Verses 383-394 (download)