- Explanation of vows according to a commentary by Dagpo Rinpoche which uses Tsongkhapa’s explanation
- Vows of engaging bodhicitta
- Vows 1-3 are to avoid:
1. (a) Praising yourself or (b) belittling others because of attachment to receiving material offerings, praise, and respect.
2. (a) Not giving material aid or (b) not teaching the Dharma to those who are suffering and without a protector, because of miserliness.
3. (a) Not listening although another declares his/her offense or (b) with anger blaming him/her and retaliating.
- When a precept has more than one aspect, doing just one aspect constitutes a transgression of the precept.
Bodhisattva ethical restraints 02: Introduction and vows 1-3 (download)