The text turns to training the mind on the stages of the path of advanced level practitioners. Part of a series of teachings on the Gomchen Lamrim by Gomchen Ngawang Drakpa. Visit Gomchen Lamrim Study Guide for a full list of contemplation points for the series.
- The benefits of keeping ethical conduct
- Is it easier to create non-virtue now versus in the past?
- How we engage in killing, stealing, and unwise sexual behavior in modern times
- Ways to practice protecting life, safeguarding possessions, and using sexuality kindly
- Methods to counteract our tendency to lie and speak divisively
Gomchen Lamrim 102: The Perfection of Ethical Conduct (download)
- Going through each of the ten pathways of non-virtue, consider:
- What are some socially acceptable, contemporary activities that actually create negativity through this pathway of non-virtue?
- Have you engaged in the activity? What afflictions were working behind the scenes that made non-virtue seem like a good thing to do?
- What resources does the Buddha make available to you to overcome the wish to engage in this activity in your own life?
- What can you do to bring love, compassion, and wisdom to the situation when you see this activity in the world?
- What virtuous pathway directly opposes this non-virtue? What can you do to cultivate this in your life?
- Generate a strong aspiration to abandon negative actions and cultivate positive ones through your study, reflection, and meditation. Make the determination to allow a deeper understanding of keeping good ethical conduct to influence the way you interact with others in your daily life.