The results of negative karma
Part of a series of teachings based on Nagarjuna’s Precious Garland: Advice for a King sponsored by Semkye Ling center in Schneverdingen, Germany, April 20 to April 23, 2016. The teachings are in English with German translation.
- Practicing physical austerities will not lead to liberation or awakening
- The 16 practices can be subsumed under three—generosity, ethical conduct and fortitude
- The three kinds of karmic results
- The ripining or maturation result
- The result similar to the cause
- The environmental result
- The specific results of negative karmas
Nagarjuna’s Precious Garland: Verses 11-18 (download)
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.