The sixteen practices for higher rebirth
Part of a series of teachings based on Nagarjuna’s Precious Garland: Advice for a King sponsored by Semkye Ling center in Schneverdingen, Germany, April 20 to April 23, 2016. The teachings are in English with German translation.
- Our experience is our responsibility, we can’t blame others
- Creating the causes for a good rebirth through the 16 practices
- Abandoning the ten nonvirtues
- Three additional actions to abandon
- The three virtues to practice
- Rejoice in merit created but don’t be conceited
Nagarjuna’s Precious Garland: Verses 8-10 (download)
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.