Chapter 1: Upper rebirth and highest good
Introduction and Verse 1
Chapter 1 addresses what to abandon and what to practice to attain upper rebirth and highest good. Part of a series of talks on Nagarjuna’s Precious Garland of Advice for a King.
- Overview of the text and the topics of each chapter
- The six texts in Nagarjuna’s Collection of the Middle Way Reasoning and putting Precious Garland in the context of his works
- Nagarjuna’s texts use two ways to explain emptiness and refute inherent existence
- Explanation of the homage and praise
- How the text fulfills our own purpose and the purpose of others
Precious Garland 01: Introduction and Verse 1 (download)
To obtain a copy of the root text being used for the talks, please write to office [dot] sravasti [at] gmail [dot] com.
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.