Mindfulness and introspective awareness
The Four Establishments of Mindfulness: Part 1
A series of teachings on the four establishments of mindfulness given at Maitripa College in October 2014.
- Observation and investigation lead to wisdom
- Mindfulness and wisdom go together
- Mindfulness as a mental factor has three features:
- the object
- subjective mind (remembering)
- prevent distraction
- Introspective awareness: monitors everything we do
- introspective awareness and mindfulness work together
- Observed objects:
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.