The functioning of cause and effect
Teachings on Buddhism for Beginners
Talks given at Sravasti Abbey’s monthly Sharing the Dharma Day from March to December 2012.
- Buddhist view of cause and effect
- What karma is not (fate or a system of reward and punishment)
- Looking at the long-term picture (over multiple lives) in terms of cause and effect
- Using our volitional actions to create the causes for long-term happiness
- Excerpt on karma from Buddhism for Beginners
Buddhism for Beginners 07: The functioning of cause and effect (download)
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.