The text turns to meditation and how to structure the meditation session. Part of a series of teachings on the Gomchen Lamrim by Gomchen Ngawang Drakpa. Visit Gomchen Lamrim Study Guide for a full list of contemplation points for the series.
- Review of the preliminary practices covered in the previous session
- Continuation of the explanation of the seven-limb practice
- Requesting teachings
- Supplication, asking the Buddhas to remain, manifest, and teach
- The mandala offering
- The traditional mandala offering
- A contemporary version from a text by Rob Preece
- Requesting inspiration to be free of obstacles and to attain realizations
Gomchen Lamrim 06: The six preliminary practices, part 2 (download)
- Take the time to really look at each of the parts of the 7-limb prayer. How do each of these transform the mind in its own particular way?
- Explore your own personal mandala offering. What do you crave? What are you attached to? What do you aspire for? What do you find beautiful? In the mandala, we are requesting that obstacles be removed and that we realize the steps of the path. In return we offer everything. Imagine what that “everything” entails and mentally offer it to the Buddha. How does this make you feel?