Practicing compassion in helping professions: A Buddhist perspective
A Buddhist perspective
A talk given at Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery in Singapore, December 4, 2016.
- The importance of setting a beneficial motivation
- How to communicate to benefit others
- Caring about clients without attachment
- Compassion requires internal strength free from expectations
- Tuning into our feelings and needs
Practicing compassion in helping professions (download)
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.