Chapter 6-7: Review and overview
26 Buddhism: One Teacher, Many Traditions
Part of a series of two-week courses given at Sravasti Abbey based on the book Buddhism: One Teacher, Many Traditions by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Venerable Thubten Chodron.
- Seven awakening factors
- Noble eightfold path
- Focus here is on our motivation, not just our actions
- Mapping these onto the three higher trainings
- Shantideva Chapter 9: meditating on the emptiness of the 37 aids to awakening
- Chapter 7: Selflessness and emptiness
- Consonance between Sanskrit and Pali tradition scriptures
- Clarifying the meaning of selflessness in this context about the ultimate nature of reality
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.