A Buddhist path
A talk given at DePaul University’s Center for Inter-Religious Engagement in Chicago, Illinois.
- Venerable Thubten Chodron’s youth
- What appealed to her about Buddhism
- Traveling to Nepal and deciding to ordain
- Appreciating the kindness of others
- Investigating love and compassion
- Questions and answers
- The ultimate goal in Buddhism
- Practical ways to cultivate the Buddhist path
- What Buddhists practice and believe
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.