Part of a series of teachings from the Developing Compassion Retreat in 2015.
- Everybody wants to be happy, nobody wants to suffer
- Definition of compassion
- Nying je: encompasses love, affection, kindness, gentleness, generosity of spirit, warm-heartedness, a feeling of connection for others
- Overview of the components and methods of cultivating compassion
- Seven-point cause and effect instruction
- Equalizing self and others
- Compassion is critical for the cultivation of bodhicitta
- Our fundamental nature is pure, and the seeds of our good qualities are already there
- Exercise on caring for neutral people like they’re my best friend
Venerable Thubten Chonyi
Ven. Thubten Chonyi is a nun in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. She has studied with Sravasti Abbey founder and abbess Ven. Thubten Chodron since 1996. She lives and trains at the Abbey, where she received novice ordination in 2008. She took full ordination at Fo Guang Shan in Taiwan in 2011. Ven. Chonyi regularly teaches Buddhism and meditation at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Spokane and, occasionally, in other locations as well.