Practical applications of studying philosophies
A question and answer session
Part of a series of teachings given March 19-21, 2011, at a retreat on the Varieties of Madhyamaka at Sravasti Abbey.
- The practical applications of making the fine distinctions between different views of Madhyamaka in terms of our practice
- The issue of what a buddha knows regarding conventions
- Avoiding the extreme that conventional reality does not exist at all
- Where functionality fits within things existing merely in relationship to the mind
- The role of valid or reliable cognition
- Comments on modern society
- Confessional practices done twice monthly at the Abbey
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.