Part of a series of teachings given at a weekend retreat on environmental activism at Sravasti Abbey, August 31 to September 3, 2007.
Review of judgmental attitude discussion
- The happiness and suffering of friends, strangers, enemies
Activism with altruism 06a (download)
Proper understanding of kindness and compassion
- Kindness of our parents and others
- Kindness is not weakness
- Foundation of compassion is not being overwhelmed by suffering
- Suffering and its causes
Activism with altruism 06b (download)
Questions and answers
- Using equanimity to have compassion for both sides of an environmental problem
- Having patience for our own actions that harm the environment
- Recognition that everyone who invented items that are now polluting the environment had a good motivation to benefit people
- Importance of bringing the Dharma to all sentient beings
- Where does responsibility fit into the environmental issues and how do we avoid feeling like a victim?
- What are the motivations we should remember when we wake up in the morning?
Activism with altruism 06: Q&A (download)