The role of a monastic
06 Exploring Monastic Life 2021
- The importance of learning the Dharma with the right motivation
- How to deal with monastics who have intolerable behavior
Discussion group questions
- Not having a career and worldly success, like all your friends do?
- Not having a nest egg or savings to have “security” in old age?
- Not having an intimate relationship to be a source of comfort and support, both at present and in old age, like most of your friends do?
- Not having children, which are often seen as the “legacy” that we leave behind in the world when we die, or who can take care of us when we’re old.
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.