The value of a sangha community
04 Exploring Monastic Life 2021
- Rejoicing in the generosity of the Abbey’s supporters
- The celebration of Ullambana
- The meaning of the word “sangha”
- What matters is what is happening in our mind and practice
- Questions and answers
Discussion Group Questions
- What are some of the identities you have? List as many as you can.
- Which identities do you most strongly identify with?
- In terms of how society responds to these identities, how do they restrict or expand you?
- In terms of how you hold these identities yourself, how do they restrict or expand you?
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.