Sustaining our monastic life
05 Exploring Monastic Life 2021
- Long-term bodhicitta motivation is essential for sustaining ordained life
- Critical thinking and community life
- What it means to rely on a spiritual mentor
- The importance of having a strong Dharma foundation before engaging in tantric practice
Discussion group questions
- Have you told your parents about your aspiration to ordain? What was their response?
- How did that affect you?
- Have you told your friends? How did their response affect you?
- Have you told your colleagues? How did their response affect you?
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.