Rebirth and karma
Is belief in them crucial for Buddhist practice?
Teachings in Boise, Idaho, USA.
Importance of Buddhist worldview
- Why it is important to believe in rebirth and karma
- How that belief helps one wishing to practice the Dharma in depth, gain realizations and follow the path
Questions and answers
- Is what you are now the sum total of all your previous karma?
- When events happen is it due to cause and effect or randomness?
- Do we have permanent or long-term connections with other people or teachers?
- When you die is there a merging of consciousness?
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Venerable Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 1977 by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan. Read her full bio.